Hibs Demolish Aberdeen In Style – Hibernian 8-0 Aberdeen – Match Report – SWPL 1


Hibernian produced an attacking masterclass as they tore apart a normally disciplined Aberdeen side. The Edinburgh side took the lead in the 12th minute when Aberdeen failed to clear their lines, and Sarah Ewens punished them. Minutes later, it was 2-0, as Lizzie Arnot rounded the keeper before Ewens scored her second goal on the stroke of half-time.

Lucy Graham headed their fourth early in the second half before Arnot scored from the penalty spot in the 73rd minute. And in the final six minutes, Hibs score three more times: Cailin Michie blasted the ball in from close range, Emma Brownlie headed in from a corner before Rachel McLauchlan rounded the keeper to make it 8-0.

Aberdeen never looked like scoring, and the win for Hibs could have been by a greater margin as they had two goals ruled out for offside and hit the woodwork on numerous occasion.

Both teams remain in the same position, although Hibs move four points clear of third place whilst Aberdeen is now five points behind fifth-placed Spartans.

Photo: John Williamson Player of the Match Lizzie Arnot scored twice for Hibernian
Photo: John Williamson
Player of the Match Lizzie Arnot scored twice for Hibernian

First Half

The game started a pace, with the game being end-to-end without either side testing the keeper in the opening five minutes.

But soon, Hibernian started to dominate the game and came close to opening the scoring in the seventh minute. Lizzie Arnot’s corner picked out the unmarked Lucy Graham who headed the ball towards the far post, where Cassie Cowper cleared the ball off the line. Seconds later, they came close from another corner with Emma Brownlie heading over.

And then Hibernian took the lead. Aberdeen failed to clear Arnot’s cross, and although Abi Harrison’s shot was blocked by Susan Murray, the ball fell to Sarah Ewens who picked out the bottom corner.

It could have been 2-0 seconds later as Lisa Robertson saw her 30-yard shot spilled by Aberdeen’s keeper Lauren Dawson, but she recovered to grab the ball before Ewens could pounce.

But that reprieve didn’t last long as Hibs did score their second. A through-ball sent Lizzie Arnot through on goal and with Dawson coming off her line, Arnot prodded the ball past the keeper and into the net.

It should have been 3-0 soon after. Ewens broke into the Aberdeen box and saw her shot blocked, and then Arnot shot too close to the keeper who saved it with her legs.

The game calmed down, but just after the half-hour mark, Hibs had a goal ruled out for offside. Robertson broke into the box and passed to Arnot who crossed the ball back across goal to Ewens who tapped the ball into the empty net – but Arnot was ruled offside.

And as half-time approached, the woodwork saved Aberdeen twice. Harrison’s delivered a brilliant cross from the right wing, picking out Ewens whose shot cannoned off the crossbar. And then, Arnot dribbled the ball into the box and then her shot hit the left-hand post.

In the 45th minute, Aberdeen won a corner but it came to nothing and led to Hibs’ third goal. A long ball forward should have been dealt with by Aberdeen’s Donna Paterson, but she headed the ball into Ewens’ path and the ex-Spartans striker picked out the bottom-right corner with a great finish.


Second Half

Hibs started the second half quickly with Rachel McLauchlan and Ewens delivering great balls into the box, but no attackers could get their foot on the ball.

Then Chelsea Cornet saw her long-range effort parried behind by Dawson. And it was from this corner that Hibs’ scored their fourth. Arnot’s delivery was cleared to the edge of the box where Cornet launched the ball back into the box, the ball bounced six yards from goal where Lucy Graham headed the ball over the line – with the Aberdeen’s defense expecting an offside flag that never came.

The Edinburgh side came close once again from a corner, as Arnot picked out the unmarked Joelle Murray who headed wide.

And once again, Hibs hit the woodwork with Graham playing Arnot into the box who saw her shot smash off the near post.

Aberdeen’s best chance came in the 71st minute when Hannah Stewart delivered a great ball into the box, but Nikki Smith failed to make a clear connection.

Minutes after that, Hibernian won a penalty when Shannon McGregor tripped Graham in the box, and Arnot converted it, blasting the ball down the middle.

Hibs then had another goal ruled out for offside when Graham picked out Cailin Michie who tapped the ball into the net as the offside flag was raised.

In the final six minutes, Hibernian scored three goals. The first came when Graham once again picked out Michie who absolutely blasted the ball into the net, and this time, there was no flag to deny her.

Then, Arnot’s corner picked out Emma Brownlie who headed the ball back across goal to the far corner.

Their final goal came when Rachel McLauchlan took one touch to take the ball away from Dawson, and then with her next picked out the back of the net.

Player of the Match

Lizzie Arnot – Hibernian





SWPL 1 Table



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s